If you would like to speak to staff before submitting your permit application, GRCA recommends to first go through the Authority’s Inquiry/Preconsultation process.
Please ensure to contact GRCA staff by phone or e-mail with questions you may have any time between Monday and Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Please ensure the following is submitted with your completed permit application:
- Appropriate fee as per GRCA’s Fee Schedule
- Final drawings including a site plan. Please ensure that these drawings match exactly the plans to be provided to the Municipality for Building Permit purposes.
Complete Application Checklist
- Areas Where Permits May be Required
GRCA may require the issuance of a permit for projects in the Ganaraska Region in the vicinity of a:
- Valley slope
- Shoreline of Lake Ontario
- Shoreline of Rice Lake
- Hazardous lands
Please see GRCA’s Mapping Tool for information on our Regulated Areas.
- Activities That May Require a Permit
You may require a permit from the GRCA if you plan on doing any of the following work within the regulated area within the Authority’s jurisdiction:
- Construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind;
- Changes that alter the use, or potential use, of a building or structure (i.e., commercial use to residential use, conversion of a garage to a habitable space)
- Increasing the size of a building or structure, or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure (i.e. new apartment unit including basement apartments)
- Site grading
- Temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material (including, but not limited to fill, dirt, stone) originating on the site or elsewhere
- Straightening, changing, diverting or interfering with the existing channel of a river, creek, stream, or watercourse
- Changing or interfering with a wetland (including, but not limited to, fill in a wetland, dredging and grading)
GRCA reviews permit applications to ensure consistency with GRCA’s Policies for the Implementation of Ontario Regulation 168/06